Teacher Subject Specialism Training for GCSE/A Level French & Spanish
King's College London in collaboration with Lambeth Teaching Schools' Alliance
Teacher Subject Specialism Training: Secondary Modern Foreign Languages (TSST:MFL)
- To familiarise oneself with the new GCSE/A level structure, content and assessment pattern
- To familiarise oneself with cutting-edge theories and practice in Second Language Acquisition with a focus on the Task-Based Approach
- To refresh and consolidate language competence and skills in French or Spanish
- To reflect on the target language grammatical and lexical structures to be taught as part of the GCSE/A level programme;
- To be taught by native tutors with a long term experience in Secondary and HE
- To share ideas and practice with colleagues in a friendly and supportive environment
- To experience some innovative teaching methodologies and reflect on one’s own learning
and teaching experience
- To develop strategies to support students through their language learning experience and
- To obtain a CPD as part of the training course
Course Content & Structure
Delivered in English and will comprise a theoretical reflection, with practical examples, on some key aspects of the new GCSE and A level programme, with a focus on the four language skills, on using translation as a teaching tool and on the use and design of authentic teaching material based on the Task-Based Approach to language teaching and learning (30hrs).
Conducted in the target language (Spanish and French) and will expand the content presented in the morning with practical GCSE and A Level examples based on the Task-Based Approach, with the
possibility to share ideas and teaching material and to do some micro teaching sessions (30hrs).
Participants will be asked to work on a project based on the design of some teaching material following the principles of the Task-based-Approach and on a reflective e-portfolio in support of their learning and teaching experience;
Participants will also be offered the possibility to observe classes in schools and at the MLC/KCL, to reflect on their learning process and to share their experience within the group and on the e-portfolio.
Participants will obtain a CPD Certificate with 70% attendance + the completion of a teaching project + 2 class observations. Participants might choose to attend only the morning pedagogical sessions and obtain a CPD certificate with 70% attendance of the morning sessions and with the completion of a teaching project.
The course is free for Secondary MFL qualified teachers in place or planning to return to work. The Department of Education is funding the course with the support of the Lambeth Schools' Alliance and delivered by the MLC.
30/11/18, 14/12/18, 18/01/19, 01/02/19, 15/02/19, 08/03/19, 22/03/19, 05/04/19, 26/04/19, 10/05/19
TIME 10 sessions 9.00am-4.00pm
LOCATION The Foundry, 17 Oval Way, London, SE11 5RR
To request application form please complete booking form below: